Volume Rendering for Developers: Foundations
WIP May - June 2022
This lesson is only scratching the surface of the volume rendering subject. There is so much more to it, however, what we aimed for with this lesson was to give you a practical intro to the subject matter. We hope this worked and was the right approach.
- Careful: Ray-marching is not the only possible solution (diffusion).
- Presentation of the RTE / RTV equations.
- Multiple scattering (advanced lesson).
- Baking lighting / photon mapping / VLP, etc.
- How does it fit into a path/ray-tracing framework more globally.
- Similarities with other rendering methods (SSS).
- What will you study in the advanced lesson? multiple-scattering / GI, shadows, ...
- It's slow so multi-threading (first lesson of advanced section).
- Adaptive ray-marching
- Volume rendering and light types (point, spotlight, area light, etc.)
- Multiple scattering
- Wavelength dependency
- Volume rendering in production
- OpenVDB and sparse volumes
- Delta tracking
- Subsurface scattering